Friday, March 13, 2009

Nickled and Dimed - Job Search 2009

Forecast for Summer Break 2009: Sunny with continuous work.


As some may already know, I was turned down for a position at Boston University's Orientation this summer and now that I'm back from vacation it's time to buckledown and find work. Ugh... a total of 16 weeks amount to this year's summer break and I'm dreading the prospect of being jobless. Although I know I am qualified for the positions I'm applying for, I now understand that nothing is guaranteed (thank you BU Orientation staff for killing my confidence).

No worries. I'm hardworking and I'll build myself back up. I've already set out on the hunt!

Thank God for blogging... I want to keep track of what I do and what I get in terms of work for the summer, so here's a list I will continuously update:
  • Applied for Boston University Orientation Community Advisor
    Status: Not hired.
  • Perused Craig's List Listings
    -Annoying!
  • Contacted Hartford Writers for a Writing/Editing Position
    Status: Need to look into the positions they are offering and respond to their email about my intentions.
    -Not really expecting much here...
    -WOW! I got a response!
  • Spent my first day back from vacation out and about looking for summer jobs.
    -Can I just say how disappointing it is to walk out of a store without an application? Too many places have gone online! *Cough* Target, Lowe's, Borders, Rita's, L.L. Bean*Cough*
  • Applied to South Windsor Recreation Dept: Camp Discovery
    Status: Handed in application and set up phone interview for March 27th and 4:00pm.
    Interview went well...
    ***JOB DECISION: I got the job! That takes some pressure off...
  • Applied to Barnes and Noble
    Status: Handed in application. Got a reply!
    Interview at 1pm on May 20th.
  • Applied to Showcase Cinemas
    Status:
    Handed in application. Awaiting reply.
  • Applied to Rita's Italian Ice
    Status:
    Handed in application. Awaiting reply.
  • Contacting local papers for article submission compensation opportunities
    -Please, please, please. I need to write this summer!!
This will be exciting, won't it? I'll keep updating this list with comments and developments as each job application progresses. OY!

3 comments:

  1. lol welcome to my spring break.

    it's pretty likely i'll be back at hannaford this summer..kill. me. now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- i have confidence in YOU however; you will find a fantastic job. stupid BU orientation...what do they know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ***JOB DECISION: I got the job! That takes some pressure off...

    again, kid...congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete