Monday, November 30, 2009

Tragic Inspiration

Inspiration, for me, attacks without remorse.

How, amidst all the joys of my life, do I allow turmoil to dictate the flow of my writing? How do I repeatedly break streams of conscious suffering with raw, subconscious disclosure of thought?

My muse is a shadow in the corner of the room. My muse is a cold rush of adrenaline.

My muse is my own misery.

I write to cope.

Alone at my desk I pour both emotion and confusion onto paper like swirls of paint onto canvas, but never do the colors create an image more true, more powerful, more mind-numbingly real than when my words are guided by the hands of Pain, of Sorrow, of Tragedy.

Such a statement does not suggest that writing is not my passion. And that is not to imply that my passion is a hollow despondency- such a fact would make me rather masochistic, a characteristic of which I am not. Quite to the contrary, I often use writing as a way of memorializing happiness. I even write as a means of intellectual stimulation. But that's writing of a different kind. That's writing to remember. That's writing to achieve.

This is writing to feel.

It's time to feel again.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Madaket Millie, my baby, where did you go? Howl once more won't you? Oh, you can't? Or you won't? Stubborn little puppy, I know you too well for this. Stop playing coy and get over here now- you, with that goofy big black nose. Yeah, you, squiggles. Hairy disaster. Fuzz muffin. My little angel.

Maddie?

Maybe I was ignorant, baby, and I'm sorry. I thought calling you "my puppy" all these years would keep you young forever, but you weren't that old, were you? Fuzzy, open those big brown eyes one more time. Please?

* * *

Most people won't understand. Dogs are companions, sure, but to become philosophical and depressed from one's passing is a bit over the top, isn't it?

No.

This almond-eyed blessing was a piece of me. Is a piece of me.

I can't sit here and pretend I was the only person Maddie was important to; my sister is living proof that a dog can and does make us complete. All I can do is hope that Cayla is mourning in a manner that gives her the strength she needs, as well as the rest of my family.

But Madaket did change me.

In the eighth grade I became the only kid left in my house, and as I entered high school my own self-doubt, depression and familial conflicts often overwhelmed me to a point of exhaustion and distress. But never once was I alone. For five years, Madaket became my best friend: the only figure in my life from which I never felt anything but unconditional love.

A dog's love, perhaps, but perfect love.

For me, Madaket has always symbolized the warmth of home- of family. She embodies the compassion and love my family is capable of but does not always show toward one another.

She was born with a heart shaped mark on her chest, maybe by chance, or maybe to remind us that love shouldn't be an effort. Love simply... is.

This dog- our dog - my shred of hope, has passed away. Suddenly. Abruptly. And though I have lost pets before, I feel as though I have been forever changed.

Madaket changed me. Helped me. Loved me. And I am eternally indebted.

Every moment I shared with Maddie has been replaying in my head since the moment I found out she had passed, and all I can say is I am grateful I had the chance to give her one last hug and one last kiss. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to lose her so young...

Everything I write for her now comes between tear drops and heavy sobs. Everything is too real, and all I want is to cling to her, hold her, until the pain fades away.

Madaket, my baby, where did the time go?

* * *

My sister posted a quote today I would like to share with everyone:

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."

* * *

Madaket, you're my best friend. I will always love you. Rest in peace, my baby.

Now you really are my angel.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful Kedzie. It brought me to tears. I'm so utterly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete