Thursday, January 7, 2010

I "Aught" Not Think About How Fast Time Flies

The "aughties" are over.

For those who don't know, the decade of 2000-2009 has been coined the aught years, as in aught one, aught two, etc. (a numerical term
connoting the placement of a zero, in case any of you are extremely math impaired).

I wanted to write something absolutely epic as my first blog of the new decade, but I can't help but think how strange it is that ten years ago I was a ten-year-old goofball moving from Maine to Connecticut. Now, I'm an almost-twenty-year-old goofball at Boston University.

Time flies.

One of the funniest thoughts I've come across during this period of self-reflection is what young-
Kedzie would say if he met and spoke with present-Kedzie. I don't think at the age of ten I ever expected to go through or experience some of the things I did during these past few years of maturation and growth.

So, as I thought and thought about my life, I decided I really wanted to go over some of the biggest events of my life, but I didn't want to bore those of you opting to read this with a detailed list of successes and failures, so instead, here's my plan:

For the rest of this blog, I'm going to note a few of my favorite and worst memories from this past decade, and then I'm going to follow up this post with a Top 100 Songs of the Decade list (an idea I'm definitely stealing from a good friend of mine) in hopes that if my life doesn't thrill you, a but of musical
nostalgia will.

* * *

2000
-Moved from Maine to Connecticut
- Began playing the drums and percussion in general.

2001
- I began middle school and was awkward.
- Got fed up with being ridiculed for my weight so I began running. Running eventually became a sincere passion of mine.

2002
- Was selected for a student leadership program. Can't remember why...
- Tried out for ODP Soccer as a goalie and failed.
- Began learning Spanish and acquired a keen interest in languages.
- Tried out for middle school soccer and was told I was "too small to play."
- Oldest sister, Greta, graduated from Loomis Chafee and went off to BU.

2003
- Twin sisters, Cara and Cayla, graduated from SWHS and went off to college. Became the only child left at home and became best friends with my dog, Madaket.'
- Almost moved back to Maine to attend North Yarmouth Academy and restart life back north. Hated Connecticut.
- Began playing defense on the middle school soccer team. Got MVP and fell in love with the position. Felt vindicated for last year's cut.
- Running had become a huge part of my life and I was soon the fastest sprinter on my soccer teams.

2004
- Got some sort of award for getting all As in my 8th grade classes.
- Graduated from Timothy Edwards Middle School.
- Began my high school career at South Windsor High School.
- Began high school soccer as a midfielder/defender. JV level.

2005
- Went back to Maine to visit friends for the first time. Went back every year since.
- Ran track and field for the first time. Was told I "would never be good at it" by my coach...
- Began my sophomore year of soccer swinging between both JV and Varsity teams as a defender/midfielder.
- Became obsessed with Brown University and wanted to go there more than any other place.
- Took my first journalism class. Double-nominated for my first broadcast package at the FOX News Student awards.
- Ran indoor track for the first time.

2006
-
Earned the title as Journal Inquirer All-Academic male representative from SWHS for the spring sports season, and did so for every season following until I graduated. Still hold the record for most in a row (7 out of a possible 8).
- Worked at the high school as a Freshman Orientation advisor (LINK Crew Leader).
- Year of the SATs. Puke.
- Played varsity soccer as a defender. Received All-Conference and All-Academic honors.

2007
- Worked at the high school as a Freshman advisor (LINK Crew Leader) again.
-Played varsity soccer as the single captain and got a concussion in the first game. Came back as the central defender with my best friend Foley and ended up winning CCC East conference title, earned All-State and All-Academic honors as well as earned membership in the National All-Academic team.
- Finally got my driver's license!
- Got scouted by Brown University as a possible recruit for track. Ended up getting deferred from early decision and later lost contact with the track coach.
- Went to Spain for 10 days with a group of high school classmates, visiting Madrid, Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, La Costa Del Sol and even went to Africa for a day to travel around Morocco.
- Took the position as Chairman of Communications for the local Relay for Life committee.

2008
- Broke multiple high school track records including the 100m, 300m, and 4x400m. Selected as All-Conference both indoor and outdoor.
- Got rejected from Brown University.
- Got accepted to Syracuse University at SI New House, and Boston University at the College of Communications.
- Experienced one of the best weeks of my life in Washington D.C. as a selected Al Neuharth Free Spirit Scholar for my excellence in journalism. (Met people such as Julia Butler, Natalia Ledford, Dave Lafortune, Natalie King and Paula Skaggs).
- Celebrated my 18th birthday in Maine at the New England track & field championships, placing 7th with my 4x400m relay team.
- Spoke with Boston University coaches and was offered a position as a sprint on the BU Track and Field team.
- Selected Boston University as my location of study and began my college career in late August/early September. Began track there as well.

2009
- Won my first college 200m heat at the Beanpot Battle at Harvard.
- Quit college track and field.
- Got my first college 4.0 GPA.
- Completed my first year of college (aka, survived it).
- Worked as a camp counselor / Barnes and Noble bookseller over the summer.
- Placed second with my best friend, Steph, at a local beach volleyball tournament: The VolleyBrawl.
- Without track, began playing volleyball and soccer intramurals, as well as became a starting Chaser on the BU Quidditch team.
- Won BU Co-Ed Soccer intramurals and placed 3rd at the Quidditch World Cup.
- Had to deal with the sudden loss of Madaket, my dog and best friend.
- Got my first B+ in college.
- Wrote a profile on an Olympic athlete with hopes of having it published in Sports Illustrated.

* * *

Now I know you all care so much. But seriously, a lot has happened. I'm sure as I continue thinking and remembering I'll add more to this list. I suggest you do the same and see just how much you've changed over the past decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment